Vintage dolls pram upcycle…

Amber has been after a pram for her dolls, the buggy she has is flimsy and the cover keeps breaking, I also love the look of the vintage prams. I found this pram for £15 on Facebook marketplace.

It was a bit worse worse for wear and needs some tlc, the hood was faded and torn, the cover didn’t quite fit properly, the wheels dirty and battered, the paintwork also needed work.

First off I had to work out how to take it all apart, it wasn’t as simple as I thought! The rivets in the hood ended up needing drilling out with the help of a friend, as I just didn’t have the knack or the strength! The little pins which fixed the bassinet in were more simple, but as you can see, it was all showing it’s age and needed a good clean.

The cream rubber tires were taken off and given a good soak and scrub.

It was all given a good clean in preparation for spraying, you can see the rust on the bottom of the pram here, and my little helper.

I decided to use car spray paint for the pram, because of the rust, I’m also hoping this will be more durable, as I’m sure this pram will be knocked around.

I forgot to get a picture of spraying the body, but we went for white primer to help keep the rust at bay and then a fiat 500 colour so it’s a nice off-white/cream, I didn’t want it to be glaring white.

I used the old hood and cover to create the new coverings, picking it all apart and then laying out the peices. I went for a baby pink cordroy for the outside, and a gorgeous pink rose fabric for the linings. A gorgeous vintage lace I had in my stash finishes it all off beautifully. The panels were sewn together with a sewing machine and then the hood had to be sewn onto the frame by hand.

I used the chrome spray once again to paint the roses onto the side.

Instead of rivets on the hood I used nuts and bolts, and an eyelet to hook the covers over.

I think the only thing I’d do differently next time is to remember to spray the hood metal! I’m annoyed with myself that I completely forgot to do that, but it is too complicated to unstitch everything now.

I cannot wait to see Amber’s face when we give it to her for Christmas!