I’ve been meaning to make this Madalynne Simplicity 8711 monowire bra for eons now. I loved the idea of the floating wire inside but I wasn’t quite so sure on all the ruffles, so when I saw Madalynne’s sporty version I knew exactly what I wanted to make.
I’ve had this gorgeous embroidered tulle in my stash for probably more than 7 years, it’s beautiful but I never knew what to do with it. I felt like the size and scale of the design needed something specific to show it off. It would have gotten lost on a bra for instance. But seeing as this monowire bra has a bralette shape outer, it’s perfect, the fabric really makes a statement.
I lined the inside with a super soft pink and decided on covering elastic with a dusky pink crushed velvet, I had the tiniest scrap left, it was the perfect size and perfect colour match, so meant to be! I also decided to bind the edges with foe elastic (as Madalynne did with her sporty version) I really like the clean lines this gives, I went with white elastics to emphasise the fun fresh sporty look.
To match the bralette I made a pair of Evie la Luve Marie panties, they’re the perfect pattern for non stretch fabrics. I lined the front in the same super soft pink, but not the back. I’ll probably make another pair (as they’re useful) but this time line them all over, I love the sheer look on the back, but the embroidery on the tulle is slightly scratchy as it’s metallic threads.
I love that this pattern shows off and gives maximum impact for this amazing embroidered tulle I’ve had in my stash forever. I feel like a peak of this would look amazing under a green high waisted trouser and blazer suit so that’s now on my wishlist to make or thrift…
I found this vintage embroidered tablecloth in the tip shop of all places, it made me so sad that this beautiful stitching had just been thrown away! Someone will have spent hours and hours on it, it’s truly gorgeous. It’s so beautiful I wanted to wear it somehow, it wasn’t going to get much use as a tablecloth but I could see it having a completely new lease of life as a blouse.
I felt that perfect pattern for this is the Nina Lee Bakerloo Blouse (previously gifted) I had a little bit of work to make it fit, I wanted to make the most of the pattern. The top had to be cropped to fit the fabric, and because of where the darts sat it had to be made more cropped than I really wanted, otherwise the darts would have been across a huge flower and ruined the look.
So long as I wear high-waisted bottoms I think I just about got away with it! I also omitted the ruffles on the collar because there was enough going on. The collar is lined with a little silky lining fabric I had left over from Amber’s coat. The front pattern peice was made from two again to make the most of the embroidery.
The sleeves were hacked shorter and slightly slimmer, I decided against the ruffle finish here again due to the amount of fabric I had and I think it would have been too much anyway. The back is finished off with a pink vintage button. The hems are simply over locked, turned under and stitched.
All that is left to decide is what to use the last of the scraps for…
I’ve been after the perfect leopard print dress for a while, so when I spotted this fabric in Felicity Fabric I knew which pattern would be perfect immediately. I was lucky to win a voucher in the #averyvintagechristmas2021 Instagram competition which I put towards this order. The fabric is gorgeous, so soft and the perfect drape for the fibre mood Gladys dress.
A close up because the gold vintage buttons set off the leopard and ruffles so well, they add an extra special touch.
Styling this dress is so much fun, I love how versatile this dress is, from casual to dressy and it layers so well too! This dress will get many repeat wears.