Vintage girls coat…

I wanted to make Amber a coat from the same fabric as mine, it’s such a gorgeous colour. It’s a pretty pink marshmallow mouflon from Truro Fabrics. For Amber I envisioned a vintage style with a full skirt, I found a gorgeous 1950s Blackmore pattern that was perfect for this project.

There were minimal instructions with the pattern, so some stages took a little working out. I also decided to make bound button-holes like I did on my coat. I just love the finish they give.

I finished off the coat with some vintage gold and pearl buttons, similar to mine, from my stash.

The coat went down well at Christmas, I’d maybe make those shoulders a tad smaller next time, but I figure there’s growing space/space for a big thick jumper and I think it looks as though that was how it was intended to fit from the drawing on the packet.

It’s so much fun to match with her, she’s still at the age where she wants to be like me, so taking full advantage while I can.

We finally took some pictures this week, the pup needed all of the attention!

Vintage cord quilting upcycle…

I bought a gorgeous half sewn cushion cover from a seller at missymopfabrics vintage fair a while ago. I bought it planning to make a top from it, and I’m thrilled with how it’s turned out!
I decided to use the top part of the Tilly and the Buttons Bettine pattern, because of the grown-on sleeves. It didn’t entirely fit on the peice of fabric, so it is very hacked. There was a bit of unpicking to do as the stitching had been part sewn and I wanted it to be symmetrical with the square in the middle to be the main feature.

I understitched the neckline and blind stitched the hems, the sleeves are shorter and it’s not a dress as the pattern is, so it’s a extremely hacked Bettine! I used the pattern for the grown-on sleeves, I wanted the front to be the feature.
I think it’ll be more of a spring outfit, but I’ve worn it today with a snuggly cardi.

The fabric is just beautiful, the lady that sold it to me, bought it after the original seller hadn’t gotten round to finishing the cord quilting for a cushion cover. She intended to make it into a cushion also, but I saw a top…

DIY Magnetic Pincushion…

I used a little vintage trinket dish, a magnet and some glass glue. It’s a super easy make and so pretty! I’ve seen versions using more magnets and opaque China dishes, so more coverage for pins, the options are endless. This is the perfect amount of pins for sat by my sewing machine though…