I found this vintage embroidered tablecloth in the tip shop of all places, it made me so sad that this beautiful stitching had just been thrown away! Someone will have spent hours and hours on it, it’s truly gorgeous. It’s so beautiful I wanted to wear it somehow, it wasn’t going to get much use as a tablecloth but I could see it having a completely new lease of life as a blouse.
I felt that perfect pattern for this is the Nina Lee Bakerloo Blouse (previously gifted) I had a little bit of work to make it fit, I wanted to make the most of the pattern. The top had to be cropped to fit the fabric, and because of where the darts sat it had to be made more cropped than I really wanted, otherwise the darts would have been across a huge flower and ruined the look.
So long as I wear high-waisted bottoms I think I just about got away with it! I also omitted the ruffles on the collar because there was enough going on. The collar is lined with a little silky lining fabric I had left over from Amber’s coat. The front pattern peice was made from two again to make the most of the embroidery.
The sleeves were hacked shorter and slightly slimmer, I decided against the ruffle finish here again due to the amount of fabric I had and I think it would have been too much anyway. The back is finished off with a pink vintage button. The hems are simply over locked, turned under and stitched.
All that is left to decide is what to use the last of the scraps for…
Is this what sewing dreams are made of?! Everything to make this beauty came from Little Miss Sew N Sew I was overly excited to be asked to make something from their range, when I got to the warehouse I was like a kid in a sweet shop trying to choose what to make, I didn’t know what to do with myself. They must have been sick of me by the time I left! I decided I must be the only person to have not made a Nina Lee Bakerloo Blouse (if you haven’t yet, you really need to) and went for this gorgeous statement Lady McElroy Cobra Corsage in blush
The fabric is just stunning, so nice to work with also. I spent a while planning out where the print would sit, I knew that would make a whole lot of difference to the look of the blouse. I was so careful to choose where the collar print would sit and what direction the butterflies and snakes sat, then in comparison to the bodice, making sure it was all balanced.
Then I had the most amount of fun picking through my vintage buttons to decide which to go for, because of all the colours in the design, I had so many options. In the end I went for the little white one, as I liked the flower design, I felt it reflected the blooms in the fabric.
The instructions with the Bakerloo Blouse are perfect, it’s a fairly simple top to put together, but has maximum impact. The collar and sleeves are stunning! I think next time I make this blouse I could make the ruffles around the corners of the collar a tad neater but that’s the perfectionist in me talking.
Trying to show in photos how stunning the sleeves and collar is, I’ve had so many compliments when wearing it!