Vintage embroidered tablecloth upcycle…

I found this vintage embroidered tablecloth in the tip shop of all places, it made me so sad that this beautiful stitching had just been thrown away! Someone will have spent hours and hours on it, it’s truly gorgeous. It’s so beautiful I wanted to wear it somehow, it wasn’t going to get much use as a tablecloth but I could see it having a completely new lease of life as a blouse.

I felt that perfect pattern for this is the Nina Lee Bakerloo Blouse (previously gifted) I had a little bit of work to make it fit, I wanted to make the most of the pattern. The top had to be cropped to fit the fabric, and because of where the darts sat it had to be made more cropped than I really wanted, otherwise the darts would have been across a huge flower and ruined the look.

So long as I wear high-waisted bottoms I think I just about got away with it! I also omitted the ruffles on the collar because there was enough going on. The collar is lined with a little silky lining fabric I had left over from Amber’s coat. The front pattern peice was made from two again to make the most of the embroidery.

The sleeves were hacked shorter and slightly slimmer, I decided against the ruffle finish here again due to the amount of fabric I had and I think it would have been too much anyway. The back is finished off with a pink vintage button. The hems are simply over locked, turned under and stitched.

All that is left to decide is what to use the last of the scraps for…

Vintage cord quilting upcycle…

I bought a gorgeous half sewn cushion cover from a seller at missymopfabrics vintage fair a while ago. I bought it planning to make a top from it, and I’m thrilled with how it’s turned out!
I decided to use the top part of the Tilly and the Buttons Bettine pattern, because of the grown-on sleeves. It didn’t entirely fit on the peice of fabric, so it is very hacked. There was a bit of unpicking to do as the stitching had been part sewn and I wanted it to be symmetrical with the square in the middle to be the main feature.

I understitched the neckline and blind stitched the hems, the sleeves are shorter and it’s not a dress as the pattern is, so it’s a extremely hacked Bettine! I used the pattern for the grown-on sleeves, I wanted the front to be the feature.
I think it’ll be more of a spring outfit, but I’ve worn it today with a snuggly cardi.

The fabric is just beautiful, the lady that sold it to me, bought it after the original seller hadn’t gotten round to finishing the cord quilting for a cushion cover. She intended to make it into a cushion also, but I saw a top…

This used to be a bedsheet…

I had an old bedsheet that I ruined in our house move, it was a gorgeous high quality cotton and I felt it would just be a waste to throw because of a couple of stains. I’ve been wanting a white shirt for a while and after the success of my last Bakerloo blouse (made from a pattern and fabric from Little Miss Sew n Sew, click Here for my blog on it) I thought I’d make it again. I love my patterned version, but you have to have the right outfit on to go with it. So for the days I want something smart/casual this is perfect! It’s also great for layering, not only surprisingly warm, the statement white collar looks amazing under a cardigan or jumper.

Now I’m looking at old bedding and curtains in a new light and wondering what else I could upcycle…