I found this vintage embroidered tablecloth in the tip shop of all places, it made me so sad that this beautiful stitching had just been thrown away! Someone will have spent hours and hours on it, it’s truly gorgeous. It’s so beautiful I wanted to wear it somehow, it wasn’t going to get much use as a tablecloth but I could see it having a completely new lease of life as a blouse.
I felt that perfect pattern for this is the Nina Lee Bakerloo Blouse (previously gifted) I had a little bit of work to make it fit, I wanted to make the most of the pattern. The top had to be cropped to fit the fabric, and because of where the darts sat it had to be made more cropped than I really wanted, otherwise the darts would have been across a huge flower and ruined the look.
So long as I wear high-waisted bottoms I think I just about got away with it! I also omitted the ruffles on the collar because there was enough going on. The collar is lined with a little silky lining fabric I had left over from Amber’s coat. The front pattern peice was made from two again to make the most of the embroidery.
The sleeves were hacked shorter and slightly slimmer, I decided against the ruffle finish here again due to the amount of fabric I had and I think it would have been too much anyway. The back is finished off with a pink vintage button. The hems are simply over locked, turned under and stitched.
All that is left to decide is what to use the last of the scraps for…
I’ve been after the perfect leopard print dress for a while, so when I spotted this fabric in Felicity Fabric I knew which pattern would be perfect immediately. I was lucky to win a voucher in the #averyvintagechristmas2021 Instagram competition which I put towards this order. The fabric is gorgeous, so soft and the perfect drape for the fibre mood Gladys dress.
A close up because the gold vintage buttons set off the leopard and ruffles so well, they add an extra special touch.
Styling this dress is so much fun, I love how versatile this dress is, from casual to dressy and it layers so well too! This dress will get many repeat wears.
I wanted to make Amber a coat from the same fabric as mine, it’s such a gorgeous colour. It’s a pretty pink marshmallow mouflon from Truro Fabrics. For Amber I envisioned a vintage style with a full skirt, I found a gorgeous 1950s Blackmore pattern that was perfect for this project.
There were minimal instructions with the pattern, so some stages took a little working out. I also decided to make bound button-holes like I did on my coat. I just love the finish they give.
I finished off the coat with some vintage gold and pearl buttons, similar to mine, from my stash.
The coat went down well at Christmas, I’d maybe make those shoulders a tad smaller next time, but I figure there’s growing space/space for a big thick jumper and I think it looks as though that was how it was intended to fit from the drawing on the packet.
It’s so much fun to match with her, she’s still at the age where she wants to be like me, so taking full advantage while I can.
We finally took some pictures this week, the pup needed all of the attention!